Thursday, November 5, 2009

What is my identity?

Identity can be a tricky thing to nail down, and I'm not talking about social security numbers, either.  Who am I?  I am a daughter.  I am a wife.  I'm a mother.  But what is my identity? 

It's funny how God prepared me to find out about my dad.  I spent 9 months prior to finding out about this situation thinking about how my identity must be in Christ.  Here is something I wrote on April 23, a month before my mother's conversation with me:

Maybe He (God) does this for you, too: for several months at a time, He seems to impress on me certain themes, usually through preaching and life in general. One of the things that He has been teaching me over the last 8 months has been that my position is in Christ.

I am a mother. But my children will grow up and I will no longer "mother" them as I do now. I am a wife. But my husband could die before me. I will no longer be a wife. But I am forever Christ's. As the song goes, "no power of hell, no scheme of man can ever pluck me from His hand." Paul puts it this way: "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8. 38, 39)

God was preparing me for the identity crisis that was headed my way.  He was so good to get me ready spiritually for what could have been a life shattering revelation.  His grace blows me away.  I don't deserve it yet he gives it anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I am a Sperm Donor because I am a Christian!
    I am sad that my children from a fertility clinic conceived in 1978-79 are known only to God.
    However, i now have 10 little children to mostly to lesbian families. God sends his rain on the righteous and the unrighteous and makes his sun/Son to shine on the good and the bad. So I do not judge anyone but leave that to him. After all "It is the LORD who opens the womb" Genesis but I try to fufill the cry in Isaiah 4:1 "In those latter days 7 women will take hold of one man and cry take away our reproach and give us children"
    John Mayger (Sydney Australia)
    jlmayger@yahoo.com.au

    ReplyDelete